Catering to Your Referrers with Advanced Reporting and Speech Recognition
Welcome to the first installment in our series
Although it’s often just a single sheet of paper or digital document, the referring physician’s final report is among the most crucial factors affecting your referral stream and the profitability of your practice. If your reports are not timely, precise, well-organized and geared towards your referrers’ preferences, then your entire medical business can suffer. Reports can make a major difference in the success or failure of your practice.
So not surprisingly, a robust reporting platform powered by advanced speech recognition is vitally important in the current competitive healthcare environment. If you’re not leveraging all of today’s innovative tools, your competition may have an unfair advantage—and not just on paper.
All speech recognition and reporting solutions are not created equal. Evaluate systems, and look for key features and functionalities. The best systems will enhance your own practice’s workflow by providing the flexibility to support each physician’s reporting preferences through customized protocols, terminology unique to your specialty and practice, easy embedding of key images and more. Faster workflow accelerates report generation and results communication to your referrers. Through advanced templating, a good system will also support reports that are more precise, consistent and easy-to-understand. That’s another major benefit for your referrers.
Most medical practices will benefit by minimizing the time and expenses of maintaining and upgrading a reporting platform. A cloud solution like IDS Voice2Dox will shift this responsibility to your vendor and enable easy anywhere, anytime availability of transcribed reports. Industry leading Voice2Dox also offers a host of important productivity-boosting features for any medical practice. Many of these have extra value for physicians who work in multiple locations or provide virtual consultation or teleradiology services.
Today, a state-of-the-art reporting platform should include:
· Support for the medical speech recognition engine—or engines—of your choice. Some practices prefer the flexibility of cloud-based technology, while others will choose an onsite solution. The best engines will help your practice ensure overall accuracy and correct medical terminology. Dragon Medical Practice Edition 2 is among the best solutions for local installation, while SpeechAnywhere is a high performance cloud-based recognition engine. Voice2Dox supports both, and will offer compatibility with a full range of additional voice engines in the future.
· A broad selection of easily customizable report templates specific to your practice area to enhance reporting efficiency.
· Powerful and robust template management capabilities to ensure easy access to all templates throughout the practice or department. This not only speeds workflow but provides all physicians with access to consistent reporting features—leading to standardized reports.
· Roaming profiles that deliver the same familiar work environment in any location, whether office, hospital or home, and universal PACS worklist compatibility to assure appropriate prioritization of exam reading.
· For teleradiologists—support for simultaneous communication with multiple PACS and other image viewing solutions on the same workstation. This will enable use of a single familiar reporting and robust speech recognition platform with all client image viewing platforms for familiar, ultra-fast workflow.
· Easy Crop and Paste addition of thumbnail images. Often, a picture really is worth a thousand words for your referral base.
· Automated reminders about exam specifics such as modality, types of studies, and imaging location to speed workflow.
· Floating checklists of key report content based on modality and exam type.
· Advanced editing functions such as drag and drop repositioning of phrases, and report availability on mobile devices for revisions on-the-fly.
· Built-in Critical Findings workflow to ensure compliance, while allowing workflow to progress.
· Physician portal for remote signing, editing and archiving.
· Automated routine sharing, including public, mentor-follower and explicit share.
· Automated distribution to ensure reports reach their intended recipients quickly and efficiently. Choose a system that caters to physician preference with delivery via email, fax, remote printing, referring physician portal and EMR interface.
· Analytics to track productivity and eliminate bottlenecks in your workflow and radiology team.
· Affordable transaction-based pricing.
Quite simply, if you depend on referrals, it’s smart to focus on your reporting and to cater to your referrers!